make something monday :: restyled moccasins

I picked up a pair of moccasins at the thrift store a few weeks ago for just a couple of bucks. They aren't vintage and in fact pretty generic but they were in my size and barely worn. I really want a pair of Minnetonkas like THESE for the fall and have been saving my pennies so I instantly knew that theses black ones would be the perfect pair to restyle. I decided to update them to look similar to the "I heart you" pair that Darlingtonia made for Red Velvet this past season...swoon worthy but a bit out of my price range and after restyling this pair I know why that's ALOT of work! (see them HERE)
The first thing I did was lift up and remove the fringe portion by using a seam ripper and some brute force. I also trimmed the leather bows down to simple knots.
Then I used a white and a burnt orange suede sampler that I picked up at my local Pacific Fabric for only a few dollars and cut a large and a small heart from each to layer. They remind me of tender heart bear...do you remember care bears? Of course you do :).
I used some Fabrictac glue to glue the two hearts together and while they were drying I added a white stitching around the toe with some embroidery floss and a glovers needle. I followed the black stitching that was already there. A note if you make some of these try to thread the needle like I did in the photo above it is super hard to fit your hand inside of the shoe to pull the needle back and forth and I finally figured out that you can almost whip stitch right on top.
Lastly I top stitched the hearts together with my sewing machine right down the middle and then glued them onto the shoes, this time I pulled out the big guns and used some E6000. They dried overnight and are perfect for the chilly fall like weather we have had her in Seattle today! It was a simple little restyle project to keep my fingers busy over the weekend. 

What have you been working on lately? Hope you have a wonderful Monday friends!

17 comments:

  1. Oh, I want some! They are adorable..thank you for sharing, Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome...i soooo wanted the red velvet shoes when she posted about them last month but they were like 100 bucks!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCH an amazing idea. I love this. The Darlingtonia ones are beyond adorable but I agree, really out of my price range too. Which is totally understandable since hers are handmade but I always appreciate a more thrifty option. : )

    amanda
    www.appleblue.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, did you say "chilly fall like weather"? If I didn't know what the cost of living for Seattle was I'd be packing my bags right now. We've had over a month of record breaking heat now with no end in sight and I just want to cry. Oh, I love the shoes, too... if the forecast ever indicates cooler weather on the horizon, I may have to look for a pair to restyle myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never cease to amaze me Rebekah! :) Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. !!! So cute! Moccasins always remind me of my mom when I was little. She always used to wear them. She even got a white pair for me, but at the time I was embarrassed and didn't think they were stylish. I bet she'd appreciate a gift like this for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun tutorial!! They turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the white stitching...so, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this!! I saw Red Velvet's and swooned, but also needed to save my dollars. :) I have had my eye out for some at the thrift store and now I am REALLY going to have to find some. I love this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute idea! Love the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are so cute! need to find a pair of moccasins to modify now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are cute!! Great job. I'm working on tackling a 450 lb stump that I am trying to convert into a manageable coffee table!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...